Monday 20 September 2010

{EF-UFY University Foundation Year 101}


Hi!

So, for everyone who’s been asking me or themselves what a University Foundation Year is, I’m explaining it in detail right here.

Alright, so I am doing the UFY in New York, though I think that the program is the same at every EF school in the US. The EF New York school is located in Tarrytown, a 40 minute train ride from Manhattan. Before the EF school the campus was used by Marymount college. Ef bought the campus in 1991 I think.

EF offers 2 programs in the US, a 6-month or a 9-month program. I’m doing the 9-month program, which starts the 23rd of September.

So basically a UFY is a year in which you improve your English and prepare for college in the US. The year starts with focusing on English skills and test preparation in the fist months and working towards university readiness later on. It’s also later in the ear that you can choose elective courses. I’ll list the courses and elective courses below(for a 9-month UFY) with the periods(80 minutes) a week.
•Term 1: SAT preparation-3/Academic vocabulary-3, TOEFL skills-5, Writing fundamentals-2, Grammar and pronunciation-4, University application workshop-2
•Term 2: Advanced TOEFL-4, Academic writing and grammar-3, Advanced reading-2, Advanced culture and communications-2, Application workshop-1, College survival skills-2 , Elective-2
•Term 3: Research writing-3, Advanced college lecture series-2, Critical reading and analysis-2, Communicative presentations-3, 3 Electives-3x2
•Electives: Advanced business concepts, Business basics, Creative writing, Crime, Community service learning, Debates, Drama, History of music, Psyology, International political economy
These are just some examples, they vary according to location.

So, this is basically what I’m going to do this year, though I guess except for attending school I’ll be shopping, browsing through NYC and hopefully have a lot of fun  Ow, and I’ve got holidays too.
Orientation: 23-26/09/2010
Term 1: 27/09/2010 ‘till 17/12/2010(12 weeks)
Christmas break: 18/12/2010 ‘till 9/01/2011
Term 2: 10/01/2011 ‘till 11/03/2011(9 weeks)
Spring break: 12/03/2011 ‘till 27/03/2011
Term 3: 28/03/2011 ‘till 3/06/2011
That was all I can tell you guys now about the UFY, I’m sure I’ll be telling a lot more about it throughout my year :)

Talk to ya’ll later
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment